My Aqua Regia Story

This is my twentieth year teaching, but only the first year when I have not taught at least one class in chemistry, and I miss it. One of my fondest memories of chemistry lab involves the one time I experimented with aqua regia — a mixture of acids which, unlike any single acid, can dissolve both gold and platinum, the “noble metals.” I had read a story of a scientist’s gold Nobel Prize being protected from the Nazis by dissolving it in aqua regia, and then recovering the gold from solution after World War II had ended. Having read about this, I wanted to try it myself, and also thought it would make an excellent lab for classroom use — if I could figure out how to recover the gold, and also learn what precautions would be needed to allow high school students to perform this experiment safely. For sensible and obvious reasons, I conducted a “trial run” without students present, but with another chemistry teacher nearby, since aqua regia, and the gases it produces when dissolving gold, are quite dangerous. Someone else has put a video on YouTube, showing aqua regia dissolving gold, so you can see something much like what I saw, simply by watching this video.

First, I obtained one-tenth of a troy ounce of gold, which cost about $80 at the time. I had read about the extreme malleability of gold, one of the softest metals, and wanted to see evidence for it for myself — so, before I prepared the the aqua regia, I used a hammer to try flattening the gold sample into a thin sheet. That didn’t work, but it didn’t take long for me to figure out why — I had accidentally bought gold coin-alloy, which is 10% copper, not pure gold. Since this alloy is far less malleable than pure gold, my attempt to flatten it had failed, but I also knew this would not pose a problem for my primary experiment — the one involving aqua regia. Also, I didn’t have another spare $80 handy, to purchase another 1/10 troy ounce of pure gold, so I proceeded to make, for the first time in my life, a small amount of aqua regia — Latin for “royal water.”

Unlike what is shown in the video above, I prepared the acid-mixture first, before adding the gold, using a slightly-different recipe:  the traditional 1:4 ratio, by volume, of concentrated nitric acid to concentrated hydrochloric acid. Both these acids look (superficially) like water, but the mixture instantly turned yellow, and started fuming, even before anything was added to it. Wearing full protective gear, I watched it for a few minutes — and then, using tongs held by gloved hands, lowered my hammer-bashed sample of gold into the fuming, yellow mixture of concentrated acids.

It worked. It was a fascinating reaction, and a lot of fun to watch. At approximately the same time that the last of my gold sample dissolved, something occurred to me:  I had failed to research how to recover the dissolved gold from the resulting solution! No problem, I thought — I can figure this out. (I am seldom accused of lacking self-confidence, even when I’m wrong.)

My first idea was to use a single-replacement reaction. Many times, I have had students extract pure silver from a solution of silver nitrate by adding a more-active metal, such as copper. The copper dissolves, replacing the silver in the silver nitrate solution, and silver powder forms, as a precipitate, on the surface of the copper. Thinking that a similar process could be used to precipitate out the gold from my gold / aqua regia mixure, I simply added come copper to the reaction beaker. The corrosive properties of my aqua regia sample had not yet been exhausted, though, and so the remaining aqua regia simply “ate” the copper. The result was a mess — I had only succeeded in turning an already-complicated problem into an even-more-complicated problem, by adding more chemicals to the mixture. More attempts to turn the gold ions back into solid gold dust, using other chemicals, followed, but all of them failed. Finally, I used a strong base, sodium hydroxide, to neutralize the still-acidic mixture, and then, disgusted by my failure to recover the gold, found a way to safely dispose of the mixture, and did so.

In retrospect, I think I know where I messed up — I should have neutralized the remaining acids in the mixture with sodium hydroxide first, before adding copper to cause the gold to precipitate out, in a no-longer-acidic solution of ions with much less hydronium present. That, I think, will work, and I do intend to try it sometime — after doing more research first, to increase my level of certainty, and also after waiting for the current price of gold to drop to less-expensive levels. Right now, after all, a tenth of a troy ounce of gold costs roughly $120, not a mere $80.

As for the lost $80, I’m not upset about that anymore. I definitely learned things while doing this, and now view the $80 spent as simply the cost of tuition for an educational experience.

1 thought on “My Aqua Regia Story

  1. Interesting experiment. I kind of guessed what your problem was going to be before I read all of it, and I think your solution is a good one. Now you just need a bake sale to raise the funds. I am sure the students would be willing to pitch in.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s