Wrong (i.e., problems):
- Panic disorder, which initially presented with agoraphobia
- PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder)
- An absurd amount of work-related stress, aggravating both of these conditions
Right (I’m glad I have these going for me):
- Asperger’s (similar to high-functioning autism)
- Ongoing professional treatment for the three problems listed above
Without Asperger’s (we call ourselves “Aspies”), which can help me shut down emotions when I need to, and look at things from a logical, problem-solving perspective, thinking out ways to cope with the first three would be virtually impossible. Also, without the professional treatment mentioned above, I’d be in a rubber room, or worse, by now.
These lists are obviously not complete. I’m focusing on things related to mental health, because I want to do everything I can to de-stigmatize mental health problems, and getting diagnosis and treatment for them, for everyone. That’s the purpose of this blog-post.